JP Vossen via plug on 16 Dec 2020 18:16:12 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: SolarWinds

On 12/16/20 5:49 PM, Rich Freeman via plug wrote:
I'll vote for the fact that as the productivity benefits of automation
continue to advance, the ability of humans to actually understand the
minimum level of technology to be competitive becomes a limiting
factor.

Eventually all humans will be incapable of understanding the behavior
of the software they use.

On the flip side, at some point it probably also means that humans
will be incapable of exploiting security flaws in software as well.

I wish I could believe that last part.  Unfortunately, they only have to understand enough of enough parts to get an exploit.  Heck, I doubt any one person can understand all of just Windows and we all know how well that does.  I can make the same argument for the Linux kernel, but that's both smaller and better segmented and I think there are people who understand their part of it well enough.

As the "technical" complexity (because it's not just software) grows, it seems like securing it gets harder faster than exploiting it.  So I think humans will become incapable of securing it long before they become incapable of exploiting it.  If we're not already there, which...it kinda seems like we might be. :-(

Later,
JP