Rich Freeman via plug on 17 Dec 2020 06:38:16 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: SolarWinds

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 9:15 PM JP Vossen via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> On 12/16/20 5:49 PM, Rich Freeman via plug wrote:
> > Eventually all humans will be incapable of understanding the behavior
> > of the software they use.
> >
> > On the flip side, at some point it probably also means that humans
> > will be incapable of exploiting security flaws in software as well.
>
> I think humans will become incapable of securing it long before they become incapable of exploiting it.

I agree with that.  Eventually though when humans are no longer
cost-effective for programming I suspect that software will become
impossible for them to exploit.  I doubt we'll see that in the next
decade, but the next 50 years could look pretty different.

And as you said, except for very simple tasks, we have already passed
the threshold of having provable code.  There are ways to reduce the
risk, but that actually goes to the point of humans not being able to
write secure code - we need to layer on additional processes and
technologies to cover the gaps.  Right now those tools are written by
humans, but some day they may not be, and eventually none of it will
be.

--
Rich