Walt Mankowski via plug on 22 Jan 2021 10:33:54 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Is there a better alternative LATEX?

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 10:40:24AM -0500, Fred Stluka via plug wrote:
> Yeah, I have my resume in HTML also:
> - http://bristle.com/~fred/resume.htm
>
> Same for all of my other docs: Resume, invoices, design docs,
> etc.  Back in 1996, when I first did that, it was the only way to
> link from my resume to other docs, like architecture diagrams
> from projects I'd worked on, recommendations from my peers,
> etc.  Also, it ensured that everyone could read my resume,
> even if they didn't have a specific word processor or viewer
> installed.  Formatting options in HTML were sufficient, even
> way back then, and are unlimited now via CSS, JS, etc.  And
> people can view it on any computer, tablet, phone, etc.

PDFs supports linking now, both external via URLs, and internally to,
for example, a list of references. LaTeX has supported this at least
since 2012 since I used it in my dissertation. It's probably the
second most widely accepted cross-platform document format after HTML
and of course gives you much finer control over how the document
looks.

Walt