Walt Mankowski via plug on 22 Jan 2021 10:40:32 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Change in Reply-To field of PLUG list on 7/14/2019...

Hi Fred,

This was intentional and due to the problems on the list that we were
having at the time. I'd have to go through the archives to refresh my
mind about it, but I won't have time for that until the weekend.

There's a setting in Mailman for this and it's currently set to set
the Reply-To header to the poster. That's the recommended
setting. Here's what the docs say about that:

  reply_goes_to_list (general): Where are replies to list messages
  directed? Poster is strongly recommended for most mailing lists.

  This option controls what Mailman does to the Reply-To: header in
  messages flowing through this mailing list. When set to Poster, no
  the original message, it is not stripped. Setting this value to
  either This list or Explicit address causes Mailman to insert a
  specific Reply-To: header in all messages, overriding the header in
  the original message if necessary (Explicit address inserts the
  value of reply_to_address).

  There are many reasons not to introduce or override the Reply-To:
  header. One is that some posters depend on their own Reply-To:
  settings to convey their valid return address. Another is that
  modifying Reply-To: makes it much more difficult to send private
  replies. See `Reply-To' Munging Considered Harmful for a general
  discussion of this issue. See Reply-To Munging Considered Useful for
  a dissenting opinion.

  Some mailing lists have restricted posting privileges, with a
  parallel list devoted to discussions. Examples are `patches' or
  `checkin' lists, where software changes are posted by a revision
  control system, but discussion about the changes occurs on a
  developers mailing list. To support these types of mailing lists,
  select Explicit address and set the Reply-To: address below to point
  to the parallel list.

I find it a little annoying at times too, but I generally only reply
to the list from mutt which has some features to handle this. I'd be
open to changing it back, but I'd like to be sure I understand any
potential ramifications first.

Walt