Charlie Li via plug on 22 Jan 2021 11:09:14 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Change in Reply-To field of PLUG list on 7/14/2019...

Fred Stluka via plug wrote:
> I just noticed that the behavior of Reply-To changed on 7/14/2019.
>
> Before that a reply went to the entire list by default.  Since that
> date, the Reply-To field has been changed, so a reply goes only to
> the original poster (OP).  You can see the transition clearly in the
> archives, where the Reply-To field is shown for each message.
>
> This may be related to the message (appended below) posted by
> Walt on 7/7/2019, where he talks about making changes to the
> list's email box.

Yes, DMARC forced this hand. [0] I said this back then, my and others'
posts to the list whose mail domains have DMARC enabled (looking at
Yahoo in particular) will not have their posts distributed to every
member with delivery enabled. On services/servers that enforce incoming
DMARC, those posts are bounced, since the From domain does not align
with where the message came from, which is the mailing list. There is no
"good" way, that I've seen, to mitigate this. Reply-To is one way to
preserve the email address of the poster.
> I looked through my Sent folder and found a bunch of replies that
> I had intended to send to the entire list in the past 18 months, that
> only went to the OP.  I had caught and re-sent some of them at the
> time because the OP noticed and asked why I had sent only to him,
> not the entire list.  Or because I was surprised at the lack of replies
> to my reply.

This is actually an appropriate time to use the reply all button. Or, if
you use Thunderbird, there is a reply list button that takes precedence
of reply all. Just make sure to double-check your To headers regardless.

Walt Mankowski via plug wrote:
> I find it a little annoying at times too, but I generally only reply
> to the list from mutt which has some features to handle this. I'd be
> open to changing it back, but I'd like to be sure I understand any
> potential ramifications first.

If changed back, a whole lot of folks who subscribe to this list using
mail services that strictly enforce incoming DMARC will suffer from
excessive enough bounces that they get unsubscribed again.

[0]
https://dmarc.org/wiki/FAQ#I_operate_a_mailing_list_and_I_want_to_interoperate_with_DMARC.2C_what_should_I_do.3F

--
Charlie "un-hardcode XZ" Li

with vishwin for off-list communication)