LeRoy Cressy via plug on 3 Feb 2021 06:36:05 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Backup solution

On 2/2/21 11:31 PM, Robert via plug wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a good backup solution for my home system. I've been
> running dd and making a complete backup of my system but this requires
> that I stop the system and the boot from USB to get this done.
>
> Now I'm looking for a better solution.  I prefer a bare bones backup if
> at all possible but anything really close to this with minimal OS
> install would be great.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Robert
>

> Smile, it increases your face value.........

Many years ago I created a secure backup bash script which uses tar and
GnuPG encryption for backups.  Now that I am creating videos and editing
them with kdenlive I create files that are larger than a 30 M hard drive
on my old 386.

Rsync works extremely well for me for backing up to an external HD.

As a paranoid old man, I believe that your /home partition should be an
encrypted partition for it probably has a password file on it for all of
your passwords.  Although you might be using a password safe like
keepass or a home made encrypted file encrypted with GnuPG I still like
to make booting a pain for any nefarious creature that might steal my
system.

Also my backup external hard drive is not only stored in my safe, but it
is also encrypted.

I would never trust a cloud service or whatever with my data.

--
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:rev.cressy@prontonmail.com 	 /\_/\
 								( o.o )
								 > ^ <
		       Cell Phone:  267-668-9686

gpg fingerprint:  8AD5 35EF 1FDF F1A7 E483  8CCE A50D 4E81 C34B 77CC

For info on gpg:		https://gnupg.org/
For secure Cell Phone:		https://whispersystems.org/

You can find me on the following:

Social Media: