Jon Wolfe via plug on 3 Feb 2021 00:32:31 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Backup solution

So you are making an "image" backup. I've been very happy just using
rsync (with -a). It has the advantage that if your source is larger than
the destination, you can add "--exclude" and then use a second rsync for
a second drive. Additionally, all of your files are directly available.
Your backups are easy to read and you don't need special software. I run
a jenkins job, but you could also just use a simple bash script.

If you have a raspberry pi or some computer that is always on you can
also create a synchronization folder so your important work is
immediately backed up. I have had some problems in the past doing this
with Nextcloud because it choked at synchronizing files that were still
being written (such as large downloads). But there are quite a few other
choices you could try out. I am using Resilio-Sync. If you don't have a
home server, there are lots of free and paid cloud storage options.

And as mentioned by Keith, there are file systems that support
"snapshots". Making snapshots can also be automated with a cron job.

Linux Mint uses Timeshift to automatically backup system files once a
day. It must be available for other distros also.

Use a multi-faceted approach if you can and automate as much as possible.

Best wishes.
Jon