Keith via plug on 3 Feb 2021 09:42:56 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Backup solution

On 2/3/21 11:45 AM, Rich Freeman via plug wrote:

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 9:35 AM LeRoy Cressy via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
I would never trust a cloud service or whatever with my data.

I think this needs a couple of big caveats.

First, if you're talking about encrypted backups, using strong
encryption, then there is no harm in storing them on the cloud as long
as you keep your keys secure.  Obviously this depends a bit on the
details but as long as everything that hits the cloud is encrypted the
most they're going to probably be able to tell is when you run your
backups and how large the incremental is for each day.  Since we're
talking about backups loss of data isn't a huge concern - it is only a
problem if they lose your data the same day that you need the backup,
which is very unlikely.

Now, if you're just talking about using commercial backup services
then obviously the security is going to be lower.  They often encrypt
stuff but usually it isn't FOSS so who knows how well it works.  That
said, commercial backups are probably going to still beat not having
any backups for most ordinary threat models, so if your choices are
something like Backblaze or hoping to get lucky then I'd go with the
backup solution.  That is probably more suited for the general public
than most on this list, but there are a LOT of people out there who
don't keep proper backups.

A big advantage of cloud services (especially if you use FOSS backup
software with strong encryption - I use duplicity but there are other
options) is that you get relatively convenient access to offsite
storage.  I can run my backups as often as I want and they're
immediately off-site, so if my house burns down my recovery point is
at most a day in the past (and could be less if I wanted).  With most
homebrew solutions that avoid the cloud chances are that you're going
to lose more data.  Sure, you could do nightly backups and always
bring the tape with you in the morning, or have a proper
fire/water/whatever-proof safe/etc for media - I'm not saying it isn't
possible to come up with a decent solution.  However, the cloud does
get you instant access to offsite storage that you can use in an
unattended manner.

The biggest downside to cloud storage is bandwidth.  I'd toss cost in
as well though this is usually not horrible these days.  Bandwidth is
usually a big bottleneck though - I am judicious as to what I back up
to the cloud daily because even 50Mbps only gets you so far in a
reasonable amount of time.  You can compensate by using the cloud for
frequently-changing higher-value data and augmenting with physical
media or other solutions for stuff that doesn't change much.

I think scope should be talked about too.  The op was talking about imaging their system with dd so we're not talking about file backup.  Cloud services are going to be expensive for large datasets and the lack of bandwidth doesn't make them viable for regular use.  What about personal pictures and video?  Ok, so now we're probably pushing terabytes.  If something happens, most people want to be able to recover everything.

George and I were recently talking about the old "sneakernet" concept.  I remember back in the day we would remind students new to networking that they should not ignore the bandwidth of a truck driving down the street with a trunk load of disks :)  That is still true today.

Disk is cheap... buy two (or three)... mirror and encrypt them. Keep one at the ready and get the other in a proper safe, in your everyday bag or give the other to someone you trust.  I think we've forgot the value of relying the local community for things like this.  Its an option that should not be overlooked.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.