Rich Freeman via plug on 20 Mar 2021 08:32:10 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Windows driver for ext2/ext3

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 6:37 PM Rich Mingin (PLUG) via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> Unfortunately I've only had experience with dodgy, issue-ful, and extremely limited extX drivers for Windows, and with 10 requiring signed drivers or extensive twiddling, I don't see it getting any easier.

Honestly, if nobody has bothered to create a reliable extX driver for
Windows yet, it probably isn't happening.  Ext2 has been around for
decades, and I don't think I've ever seen a decent solution for
Windows.

I actually find that kind of shocking, but I guess Samba works just
well enough as does FAT32, which for some crazy reason became the
ubiquitous flash storage solution.

Back when MS was profiting more off of exFAT I could kind of see why.
Now that this isn't so much a thing as far as I can tell, I'm
surprised they haven't just gone with something more modern/open.
They could either write a BSD-licensed ext4 driver (I'm guessing
FreeBSD has such a thing already), or go with some other FOSS solution
with more friendly licensing (for their purposes).  I mean, a
journaled filesystem for devices that basically invite being yanked
out of your system at any time just makes sense - use an appropriate
write order and they would be resilient against such things.

--
Rich