Rich Freeman via plug on 6 Apr 2021 08:10:46 -0700

Re: [PLUG] that's nice

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 10:30 AM Ron Nascimento via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> I hear your pain, but my org is so big that it literally takes an act
> of congress to change.

Yeah, I've had a similar issue in the past with very conservative
security settings and virus scans running all the time.

Obviously realtime protection is worth the hit.  I do that on my own
desktops and I'd expect my employer to do the same.

I don't get the point of full filesystem scans.  In theory new
signatures should get picked up the first time any of these files are
accessed, so I'm not sure how doing dedicated scans actually helps.

With NVMes becoming more of a norm though the hit should be a lot
less.  You get the CPU hit either way, but full scans take a huge IO
hit, while realtime scans have no IO hit since the IO would happen
anyway.  For hard drives IO is of course very expensive.

I think another issue is that often the features used to sell
enterprise IT have more to do with the management side of things
(which is reasonable), and performance on the client side is probably
not the main consideration by those doing vendor selection.  Of
course, the company still pays for their employees to stare at screens
all day, so it is one of those cases of siloed decision-making.

I remember a performance problem in an application where many of the
performance issues were measured in seconds.  It was hard to get IT
management to pay attention despite thousands of users waving torches
and pitchforks until they kept escalating things with the line
management.  It is easy to brush off a function that takes 10s to
execute as not being a big problem.  The issue is that if that
function is the "click on something to navigate to it" function and
the typical user does it 1000 times each day, it adds up fast.  We
would tell managers to fire up outlook, look at their inbox, but every
time they clicked on the next message wait ten seconds before looking
at the preview pane...

--
Rich