Mike Leone via plug on 10 May 2021 10:10:48 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Not the wisest comment on the Colonial break-in

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 11:53 AM jeffv via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> my brother just asked me about hooking up his lawn watering system and
> the safety implications.
>
> 1. why do you want to hook your watering system to the net?

To be able to monitor it remotely. Some people are in charge of caring
for lawns on multiple properties; this way, they could see if there
were issues, before waiting to find out on scheduled visits that there
hasn't been watering ?.

Or to be able to turn it on remotely, in case they forgot to set it,
say for a vacation period, etc.

There can be valid reasons why people might want or need to do such
connections. Just because you (or I) don't have such reasons, doesn't
invalidate their reasons.

But yes, there should be at least minimal security. No one sells a car
without a method of locking it, for example ...