Mark Bergman via plug on 11 May 2021 08:56:18 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Simple Reliable method to determine what is running on a Linux Box

In the message dated: Mon, 10 May 2021 19:44:58 -0400,
The pithy ruminations from Art Clemons via plug on
[[PLUG] Simple Reliable method to determine what is running on a Linux Box] were:
=> I've been doing Online Amateur Radio Volunteer Exam sessions and have been
=> seeing more folks running Linux or xBSD as the OS.  For exam integrity
=> purposes, there are some programs like for example Discord, Telegram which
=> cannot be running while the exam is going on.
=>
=> I've been asking the test taker to open a terminal then type "ps ax|less"
=> and scrolling through what comes up.  This method depends on my being able
=> to recognize what should or should not be running.  It also won't work for
=> other VEs who aren't used to dealing with Linux but still have to proctor
=> an exam remotely.
=>
=> I wonder what other methods might work in this situation or even
=> suggestions for a better set of commands than I use.

You're asking for a "simple, reliable method" to determine whether a program is allowed or forbidden.

Conceptually, there is no way to do what you want.

If someone has shell access, they can trivally obscure any program they are running. That's how malware operates, only in this case, the act of hiding a forbidden program is done
intentionally by the owner of the PC. The simplest example is:

	sudo cp /path/to/app/forbidden/during/exam /usr/bin/vi
	vi

Checking for running processes wouldn't reveal any violation of the exam requirements. (Bonus points for obscuring network ports, routing, etc.)

I have no idea what's on the exam (and haven't looked at anything ham radio-ish in several decades), but why is there a prohibition to using Discord, Telegram, etc during the exam?

Seriously, if someone has questions about a particular amateur radio operation _after_ they are licensed, they'd use similar tools to reach out to more knowledgable people. Is the exam
intended to test knowledge to ensure that licensed operators are cabpable in a scenario where the operator has no access to outside communication other than ham radio, and they must
use their set correctly?

=>
=> Philadelphia Linux Users Group         --        http://www.phillylinux.org

Mark Bergman    Biker, Rock Climber, SCUBA Diver, Unix mechanic, IATSE #1 Stagehand
'94 Yamaha GTS1000A^1					      2015 Aprilia Caponord
	  		https://www.flickr.com/photos/rmsppu