Casey Bralla via plug on 4 Jun 2021 10:53:21 -0700

[PLUG] Network Routing on a Test Network

I want to build a virtual test network in VirtualBox so I can play
around with various servers.  Please see the attached pdf of the network
plan.   I want the test network to be on a completely separate subnet so
that I don't get stuff confused.

I'm stuck on building the router gateway machine and getting it to route
packets from the virtual test network into the real network to access
the internet.

I would prefer not to use DNAT to isolate the test network, because I
want to simulate having these servers in the "real" world.  I have used
shorewall in the past, but only in the DNAT environment, and setting it
up to act as a "send-it-all-through" router is bummfuzzling me.

Can somebody point me to a reference for setting up the router/gateway?

TIA!