Martin Cracauer via plug on 21 Oct 2021 08:35:09 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Annoying Ubuntu/Win10 boot problem

Adam Zion via plug wrote on Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 02:37:08PM -0400:
> Basic problem: 1 computer, 2 SSD boot drives, 1 HDD data drive. 1 SSD
> contains Win10, the other Ubuntu. I need to switch back + forth between the
> 2. But, for some reason, the only way I can convince my PC to boot from the
> Win SSD is to unplug the Ubuntu one, which clearly isn't a sustainable
> solution.
>
> If I boot w/the Ubuntu drive connected, GRUB2 does give me the option to
> boot to Ubuntu or the Windows boot manager. But, if I select the latter, it
> bombs w/"a required device isn't connected or can't be accessed."

It is Grub saying that, right?

> I look in
> BIOS settings, and the Win SSD isn't listed as an option.

Do you mean as a boot option in the BIOS boot section, or is the
entire first SATA device absent when connecting the second SATA SSD?

Or are we talking NVME SSDs?

What motherboard do you have there?

Martin

> If I unplug the
> Ubuntu drive, Windows boot manager loads and gives me the option to boot
> Ubuntu or Windows, but the former doesn't work since the Ubuntu drive isn't
> connected.
>
> Any thoughts for how I can fix this? Obviously, getting GRUB2 to work would
> be ideal, and likely easier than fixing Windows boot mangler.
>
> Many thanks,
> -Z
>
> --
> Adam+Zion, MSIS