LeRoy Cressy via plug on 21 Oct 2021 09:38:25 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Annoying Ubuntu/Win10 boot problem

On 10/21/21 11:14, Carlos M. Fernández via plug wrote:
> Are you using UEFI to boot? If so, perhaps the Windows boot manager is
> looking for its files in the EFI system partition and/or the Windows
> system volume on the first disk, and unplugging the Ubuntu disk changes
> the order.
>
> You could try swapping the Windows and Ubuntu SSDs to different ports,
> and put GRUB on the Windows SSD's EFI partition. Then make sure that you
> have EFI boot entries for both.
>
> Best regards,
> //CMFM
>

> On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 10:37 AM Adam Zion via plug
> <plug@lists.phillylinux.org <mailto:plug@lists.phillylinux.org>> wrote:
>
>     Basic problem: 1 computer, 2 SSD boot drives, 1 HDD data drive. 1
>     SSD contains Win10, the other Ubuntu. I need to switch back + forth
>     between the 2. But, for some reason, the only way I can convince my
>     PC to boot from the Win SSD is to unplug the Ubuntu one, which
>     clearly isn't a sustainable solution.
>
>     If I boot w/the Ubuntu drive connected, GRUB2 does give me the
>     option to boot to Ubuntu or the Windows boot manager. But, if I
>     select the latter, it bombs w/"a required device isn't connected or
>     can't be accessed." I look in BIOS settings, and the Win SSD isn't
>     listed as an option. If I unplug the Ubuntu drive, Windows boot
>     manager loads and gives me the option to boot Ubuntu or Windows, but
>     the former doesn't work since the Ubuntu drive isn't connected.
>
>     Any thoughts for how I can fix this? Obviously, getting GRUB2 to
>     work would be ideal, and likely easier than fixing Windows boot mangler.
>
>     Many thanks,
>     -Z
> Years ago I gave a talk at PLUG Central on UEFI and specific problems
with some chips that make dual booting almost impossible.  Here is a
video of the process:

https://odysee.com/@the-rev/UEFI-Bootable-Flash-Drive

--
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy
 mailto:rev.cressy@prontonmail.com

 /\_/\
( o.o )
 > ^ <

Cell Phone: 267-668-9686

GnuPG Fingerprint:
D234 65D6 2822 211B F82F  A6CA B332 4CC8 ACBF D200

You can find me on the following:

Social Media:
    minds.com:
	https://www.minds.com/lrcressy/