Rich Freeman via plug on 20 Dec 2021 11:27:57 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Running out of disk space?

On Mon, Dec 20, 2021 at 1:19 PM Lynn Bradshaw <readyready15728@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had no idea about the "-s" switch for "du" before, or the exact pipe
> to "sort", so that's hugely useful new info, and I appreciate it. Does
> it work with "-c" as well?

I am guessing it would, though I don't think that the -c would catch
the dotfiles.

> Nevertheless, there is a caveat: the wildcard "*" will omit "hidden"
> files, at least in zsh or fish but probably also bash or whatever else
> one likes to use. I missed things from using that asterisk character.
> The period "." wildcard made more certain to cover everything.

That is a good point.  "." isn't actually a wildcard - that will run
on the currency directory.  If you run du -s . then you'll just get
one line with a total of everything in/below the current directory.
That is of course still useful, but it doesn't tell you where the
space went.

You can of course add a .* to catch the dotfiles.  Or run it on the
whole directory and compare the space to what is accounted for in
subdirectories to get a sense for what is missing.  A tool like
kdirstat will show you everything at once.

The full du output can also be handy, but it can be a bit of a rats
nest since it mixes things at all levels.  I like to peel the onion
one layer at a time.

--
Rich