Keith C. Perry via plug on 28 Feb 2022 12:03:22 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Off Topic: HVAC

Heheh,  you forgot Rich- we've definitely talked about this (think I mentioned to you my ceiling fan project for OH that I posted.  I also remember you were using Insteon stuff and weren't quite ready to move off to OH or others :)

To answer... I just recently did move from OH2 on the BBB with older Aeotec Z-stick to OH3 on the Odroid C4 with a new Z-stick.  Only pain was the Z-wave stuff because you are FORCED to use Aeotec's Windows tool to dump and load the Z-stick.  That'll be the case for any platform.  There probably was a way to use the same stick in the new server but I honestly can't have my system down for long these days so having a second system and stick made sense.  Entry devices like locks need to be handled individually (i.e. removed from the old system and then added to the new system) and once I realized that, my new system was 100%.  There were other minor things I needed to correct but it honestly wasn't too bad in retrospect.  The web and android interfaces work pretty much as before though there were some things I never full implemented or fixed and now I'm pondering using the new "pages" gui since that the way forward anyway.

Simply put, everything worked immediately except my door lock.  Having two systems allowed me to problem solve issues but it was like an >95% working out-of-the-gate situation for me.

I can't speak to zigbee or integrations but I waited to move to OH3 to let the folks who wanted to be early  work through the pains.  There are  lots of post up in regards to migrations of all types now and I didn't see many addons completely get sunset in the move to OH3.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Freeman" <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net>
To: "Keith C. Perry" <kperry@daotechnologies.com>
Cc: "John Karr" <brainbuz@brainbuz.org>, "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2022 1:40:30 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Off Topic: HVAC

On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 1:16 PM Keith C. Perry via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> So you know, my controller for OH is now an Odroid C4 using the Aeotect Z-stick.

I had no idea you were using OpenHab now.  I'm running it off of a
Pi3.  Are you on version 3?  I have never gotten around to migrating -
it isn't the most straightforward upgrade path and I'm tempted to just
move to Home Assistant instead.

--
Rich