Chris Thistlethwaite via plug on 4 Apr 2022 17:17:16 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Alternatives to Dropbox on Linux

If you're looking for single user, check out Syncthing or Duplicati.

If you need multi user, then NextCloud.

-CT

On Mon, Apr 4, 2022, 8:14 PM thomas.plug--- via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
On 4/4/22 19:56, Walt Mankowski via plug wrote:
> I've been a Dropbox user for a long time, and I've been paying for
> extra storage for the last 5 years or so. I bounce around between
> Linux, Mac, and Windows, and I need to have my directories synced
> between all 3 platforms.
>
> This has worked great for a long time, but it seems Dropbox was using
> some undocumented features on macOS. Apple closed these holes in
> version 12.3 (which came out a few weeks ago) and now wants everyone
> providing this kind of service to use a new API. Even though this was
> announced a year ago, Dropbox still hasn't implemented it and so it's
> no longer syncing directories to macOS.
>
> They had *ONE JOB*…
>
> I'm sure they'll fix if eventually. In the meantime I'm willing to
> look into alternatives, but as far as I know none of their major
> competitors (iCloud Drive, One Drive, Google Drive, Box, etc.) have
> Linux clients that integrate into the filesystem as seamlessly as
> Dropbox does.
>
> Does anyone have any alternatives they can suggest? I don't need any
> bells and whistles. All I want is Dropbox's functionality from 15
> years ago -- a single drive that quietly and automatically syncs
> files between Linux, macOS and Windows.
How much data are we talking? If you're going to be moving the data
anyway, and are willing to host your own, there's always nextcloud (of
which I can say only good things):
        https://www.nextcloud.com

There exist sync clients (by nextCloud itself) for Linux, Windows,
macOS, Android and iPhone