brent timothy saner via plug on 30 Apr 2022 18:05:50 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Correct Horse Battery Staple

On 4/30/22 17:59, K.S. Bhaskar via plug wrote:
> Horse battery staple is a terrible idea. If you have to remember five
> random sequences of four words each, you can, but if you have to
> remember 20 (most people have logins for at least e-mail, social media,
> banking, etc.) it's questionable whether you can. Horse battery staple
> may be a good idea for a master password for a password manager, but
> that's it; certainly not for a bunch of accounts. Instead of random
> sequences of words, most people will end up using meaningful phrases
> like “Mikey's high school PTO” which have far less entropy.
>
> I remember studies from way back when: while chess grandmasters can
> remember meaningful chess board positions far better than average
> people, when it comes to random chess board positions, they are no
> better than average people. It's the same thing with random phrases vs.
> meaningful phrases.
>
> Regards
> – Bhaskar

It's an unpopular stance, but I agree with Bhaskar.

And these provide additional insight as to why it's not all it's cracked
up to be:

https://fractionalciso.com/correct-horse-battery-staple-review/

https://steemit.com/steemstem/@procrastilearner/correct-horse-battery-staple-is-wrong

https://www.pentestpartners.com/security-blog/correcthorsebatterystaple-isnt-a-good-password-heres-why/

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2014/03/choosing_secure_1.html

It is important to remember that Randall Munroe is a web cartoonist,
physics programmer, and roboticist- not a cryptographer or security expert.