Walt Mankowski via plug on 30 Apr 2022 18:46:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Correct Horse Battery Staple

On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 09:05:43PM -0400, brent timothy saner via plug wrote:
> It's an unpopular stance, but I agree with Bhaskar.

> It is important to remember that Randall Munroe is a web cartoonist,
> physics programmer, and roboticist- not a cryptographer or security expert.

When I started at my current job 2 1/2 years ago, I created a system
password that was a longish random string of letters and numbers. (I
was on my laptop that day, and it's the format Safari uses.) When I
realized I'd be typing that in half a dozen times a day, it got old
very fast. It wasn't that it was hard to remember (I did, eventually),
but it was hard to type too. When it came time to change it, I
switched to a pass phrase.

One difference to the XKCD approach (which is also JP's script that
started this tread) is that I pick the words at random and then
construct something in my brain to tie them together.

Again, I just use this approach for a small number of systems where I
have to type in the password myself on a regular basis. For something
like Amazon I use a long random string + 2FA and let the password
manager fill them in for me.

Walt