Rich Freeman via plug on 30 Apr 2022 18:28:30 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Correct Horse Battery Staple

On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 9:08 PM brent timothy saner via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> Speak for yourself. :) I use a password manager and high (very high[0])
> entropy password generator, unique for every single login.

This was what I meant by "compared to what?"

I would put password managers in a different category than memorized
random passwords and memorized passphrases.

I'd argue you can memorize more total bits of entropy worth of
passwords using passphrases than random passwords.

Yes, there are alternatives to memorizing passwords, and they can be
more secure.  I think you need to consider those as a separate
category.

It doesn't really make sense to compare them anyway, as all the
problems with passphrases can be easily avoided if you use a password
manager to generate a passphrase.  Other than taking up more space it
doesn't make a difference.

One other comment on password managers: usually when you're using them
you're going to need to memorize more than just one master password.
What happens if you need to recover and you've lost the device(s) that
contain your password manager?  Is that database backed up on some
cloud service - you'll need its password.  And so on.  I'm not saying
there aren't ways of doing it that only require one password.  I'm
just saying make sure you think about your disaster recovery process
so that you don't come to realize that getting to your password
database ends up requiring a password stored inside that database...

--
Rich