Steve Litt via plug on 5 Jun 2022 01:46:16 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Firefox on snap

JP Vossen via plug said on Sat, 4 Jun 2022 14:40:31 -0400

>On 5/28/22 14:33, JP Vossen wrote:
>>
>> More discussion:
>> https://ubuntu.com//blog/how-are-we-improving-firefox-snap-performance-part-1
>>

>And:
>*
>https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2022/05/ubuntu-making-firefox-snap-app-faster
>*
>https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2022/04/how-to-install-firefox-deb-apt-ubuntu-22-04
>
>Yet:
>*
>https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2022/04/ubuntu-wont-support-flatpak-anytime-soon
>[1]
>* But you can still:
>https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/how-to-install-flatpak-on-ubuntu
>
>[1] Interestingly: "...while Snaps may be popular with an enormous
>number developers there is, to my eyes, a gulf growing between the
>kinds of apps available on each respective store. Commercial,
>proprietary and Electron-based software seems to favour Canonical’s
>Snap Store, but open source software developed in native toolkits
>seems more drawn to the experiences offered by Flatpak and Flathub.

Also, snap installs don't work on computers without systemd. Flatpaks
do.

Now most people thing, "well, what's the big deal, all distros use
systemd!" First of all, that's not true, and second, if you ever get
tired of systemd, you also have to get rid of all your snaps.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Proud user of sans-systemd Void Linux for seven years.