Walt Mankowski via plug on 7 Aug 2022 18:41:21 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [plug-announce] Tue Aug 9 - PLUG North - "An introductory guide to running your own mail server" by Andrew Denner (7pm EDT online)

On Sun, Aug 07, 2022 at 09:29:05PM -0400, Steve Litt via plug wrote:
> On Sun, 2022-08-07 at 20:58 -0400, Will via plug wrote:
> > It's 2022, learning how to live or without systemd is beating a dead
> > horse and anyone should be comfortable now with their own init systems by
> > now.
>
> Nothing could be farther from the truth. If a piece of application software requires
> jumping through incredible hoops to work without systemd, which I don't have, then
> I'm not interested in that software. Why would I bang my head against the wall
> trying to use software that won't run on my computer?
>
> When I say "won't run on my computer", I don't mean "doesn't have a runit run
> script". I can make the proper run script in 15 minutes using the software's man
> page.
>
> I'm incredibly comfortable with my init system, runit. I'm so in love with runit
> that my wife is jealous.

As Will said, Andrew will be deploying this using podman[1], a
container engine which presumably insulates the user from the
complexities of runit vs systemd vs whatever. I will also call
attention to the word "introductory" in Andrew's title.

Beyond that, I suggest you save your questions for the meeting.

1. https://podman.io/