jeffv via plug on 30 Aug 2022 08:14:48 -0700

[PLUG] hardware, XFCE

Linux Desktops and Hardware Enablement - It’s Time for a Change

https://hackernoon.com/linux-desktops-and-hardware-enablement-its-time-for-a-change

If you told me twenty years ago that Nvidia GPUs would still be a pain in the you-know-what to get working inside a Linux install to this very day, I wouldn't believe you.

How to Install XFCE Desktop in Ubuntu and Linux Mint

https://www.tecmint.com/install-xfce-desktop-ubuntu-linux-mint/

I know Desktop Discussions are tantamount to war, but I really like XFCE. I tried Gnome, several times, and just couldn't make it work. I didn't like the top menus either. XFCE allowed me to put things where I wanted them. I took the useful parts of Win (ducking) and added my own, producing what works for me. And that's the idea, right?

My wife picked it up immediately, with no instruction, as did friends. *This* is one of the major points to getting linux on the desktop. I am having some success at work with this, in that my linux laptop sits next to my work Win laptop.