LeRoy Cressy via plug on 6 Oct 2022 11:39:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Reg: You thought you bought software – all you bought was a lie

On 10/5/22 22:19, JP Vossen via plug wrote:
> On 10/5/22 18:45, Fred Stluka wrote:
>> On 10/4/22 8:35 PM, JP Vossen via plug wrote:
>>> https://www.theregister.com/2022/10/04/you_cannot_buy_software/
>>>
>>> I think this is a great article, though I don't 100% agree that all source code is useless and unreadable.  Otherwise, that's pretty much why I like open source software...the freedom.
>>
>> Right.  Imagine trying to use a tool like apt or yum, if each
>> of the dozens of dependent installs/upgrades had to check
>> for a license and prompt you for a credit card number!  The
>> freedom to use and upgrade FOSS apps, tools, and libraries
>> is HUGE.
>
> My head just exploded.  :-)

A modern Linux distro contains hundreds of millions of lines of code.

It doesn't matter that the code is unreadable. Even if it was perfectly
clear, there is way too much of it. A modern operating system is so
unimaginably enormous that even if you were a genius, it would take
centuries to read a whole OS. Nobody understands the entire things any
more: human minds are too small, and lifespans far too short.

This is true, but there is a vast difference between the definition of
an OS and a distribution.  The OS IMHO is the Linux Kernel.  The
Distribution contains the tools and items that make the OS useful.  For
instance there are a few packages at the very start that make booting
the kernel useful like:

init or systemd
coreutils
util-linux

These packages contain many useful commands like mount that make the OS
useful.  Thus the authors confusion with the OS and the distribution is
where he seems to go off track.  In 1994 I got sold on Linux by the
marvelous windowing system and the fvwm window manager with its default
9 screens.  In those days everyone compiled a custom kernel suited to
their hardware.  Thus you knew what the Linux kernel actually was doing.

--
  Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy
  mailto:rev.cressy@prontonmail.com

   /\_/\
  ( o.o )
   > ^ <

Cell Phone: 267-668-9686

GnuPG Fingerprint:
D234 65D6 2822 211B F82F  A6CA B332 4CC8 ACBF D200

You can find me on the following:

Telegram:
     (My Main Channel)
	https://t.me/RevLeRoy