Steve Litt via plug on 6 Oct 2022 21:58:27 -0700

[PLUG] "Init" is not a specific piece of software: was Reg: You thought you bought software – all you bought was a lie

On Thu, 2022-10-06 at 18:39 +0000, LeRoy Cressy via plug wrote:

> init or systemd

Please don't use the word "init" to represent a specific piece of software. There
are many, many init systems:

Sysvinit (sometimes written Sysv Init)
runit
s6
OpenRC
Busybox Init
Epoch
systemd
And probably several others I haven't remembered

Every one of them is easily capable of bringing your computer to a stable,
functional state of operation.

I know you didn't mean to do this, but "init or systemd" is a false choice that has
done substantial damage in the past.

I'm aware that once upon a time sysvinit was the only practical init system
supported by Linux, so people called it "init". But that terminology should have
been abandoned the day upstart became ready for prime time.

Please everyone, if you mean sysvinit, say sysvinit. To call sysvinit "init" is
misleading.

SteveT