Steve Litt via plug on 6 Oct 2022 21:43:22 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Firefox 105 is unusable for me

On Thu, 2022-10-06 at 12:32 -0400, Michael Lazin via plug wrote:
> If Firefox is still throttling the CPU after following the advice above you
> can try giving it priority with the "nice" command and see if it
> stabilizes, or continues to eat CPU.
>
> Michael Lazin

I'm late to this party, but I'll tell you what I've always done to partially de-pig
Firefox, because Firefox is and has been for some time a slow, bloated, CPU wasting
pig, and as time goes on it continuously gets worse.

What I've done in the past is close all instances of Firefox, then move directories
like ww3pxy54.default-default and qjdff5ox.default out of the ~/.mozilla/firefox
folder, along with profiles.ini, because if you don't move profiles.ini along with
the directories you'll get the dreaded "can't find profile" message and Firefox
refuses to start.

Beware that doing this removes your bookmarks, which I don't think should be
associated with a browser anyway, all your cookies (I assume), and I'd imagine all
your plugins.

Don't delete the directories and profiles.ini, move them, just in case you find your
new, faster Firefox lacks what you need.

SteveT