Steve Litt via plug on 6 Oct 2022 22:09:10 -0700

Re: [PLUG] The content you thought you made is not yours - (was: You thought you bought software – all you bought was a lie)

On Thu, 2022-10-06 at 13:28 -0700, Syeed Ali via plug wrote:
> Alongside the problem of revoke-able licenses is the increased reliance
> on users being tethered across the internet to a relationship with the
> author of their software.  This combined with proprietary or remote-only
> formats locks down the user's data.

Yes!!!

> The company, your internet provider, government, someone else's
> government, social credit score.. whatever, could take your work away.
> I know someone who has been locked out of an account because he changed
> phone numbers and so two factor authentication won't work.. whoops.

I worry about stuff like that. So far I've stayed away from 2 factor authentication.

> For example, Microsoft just updated Windows 11 with the inclusion of
> Clipchamp for video editing:
>
> https://clipchamp.com/en/video-editor/
>
> It requires internet access and a login.

LOL, software as a service. 21 years ago I wrote this article about "who owns your
data".

http://troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200104/200104.htm#_editors_desk

SteveT