JP Vossen via plug on 7 Oct 2022 12:28:01 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Firefox 105 is unusable for me

On 10/7/22 15:13, Walt Mankowski via plug wrote:
On Fri, Oct 07, 2022 at 02:54:43PM -0400, JP Vossen via plug wrote:
So folks might pick on some of that and say, "Well you don't need a 'large number of FF windows with a huge number of tabs.'"  Maybe not, but I *want* them, and it's my call.  And up until FF 105, that worked fine.

To add more confusion, FF 105 is behaving at $WORK now.  From Tue to Thu my $WORK laptop fan was running much louder than usual, due to "firefox-bin" and "Isolated Web Co" each taking at least 50% of a CPU (and that VM only has 2 old CPUs).  Thr at about 3:30 PM that stopped.  No clue why, I did nothing I'm aware of, and since then it's been fine.  Meanwhile my home PC has 754.5% CPU for "WebKitWebProces", but "firefox-bin" and "Isolated Web Co" are fine.  WTH?

Reading this got me to wondering if maybe the switch to FF 105 is a
red herring. One of the problems with running 100s of tabs is that if
one of them starts acting up, it can be really difficult to figure out
which one. Maybe the code in one of them changed recently and has a
bug that's causing it to use a lot more CPU.

I thought of that and of course it's possible.  That's why I REALLY wanted to downgrade to FF 104 and test again.  But I can't, at least apples-to-apples, because Mint doesn't archive packages and I didn't either (at the time). :-(  I've actually spent a lot of time trying to come up with the package, checking Archive.org, and I even extracted the FF .deb from 2 different DVD ISOs, but then I got:
* firefox_103.0+linuxmint1+vanessa_amd64.deb (from Mint-21, but I'm running 20.3)
* firefox_95.0.1+linuxmint3+una_amd64.deb (From Mint-20.3, but this is tool old)

What I want is:
* firefox-104.0.1+linuxmint1+una
* And firefox-locale-en-104.0.1+linuxmint1+una

When the CPU spikes, have you tried running Task Manager to see if
it's isolated to a single tab?

Yup, "FF > about:performance" shows nothing remarkable or different than usual.

One related thing I have not tried yet is just killing the PID of the most offending "Isolated Web Co" or "WebKitWebProces."  I don't yet know if that will cause "Grrr, your tab crashed" errors, kill a whole FF window, crash all of FF, or what.  Next time it goes crazy and I have a spare moment I might do a running snapshot of my VM and try it.

Thanks for thinking about it,
JP