JP Vossen via plug on 16 Oct 2022 13:19:57 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Firefox 105 is unusable for me

On 10/8/22 09:46, Steve Litt via plug wrote:
On Sat, 2022-10-08 at 03:05 -0700, Syeed Ali via plug wrote:
On Sat, 08 Oct 2022 02:54:20 -0400
Steve Litt via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

On Fri, 2022-10-07 at 14:54 -0400, JP Vossen via plug wrote:

So folks might pick on some of that and say, "Well you don't need a
'large number of FF windows with a huge number of tabs.'"  Maybe
not, but I *want* them, and it's my call.  And up until FF 105,
that worked fine.

But the first time you need to restart X or reboot your computer, you
lose all your windows and tabs anyway.

Huh?  No...

These are restored on launch though..

Yes.

True, but only in the case of a crash.

Not for me.  First, I almost never reboot Linux.  Yes, yes, kernel and (sigh) dbus updates...  I get those every year or two.  Whatever.  Second, when I do reboot, all my FF stuff comes right back.  And not only back, but the right FF window on the right virtual desktop.  Maybe that's because I use Mint, with a native FF and not a Snap, FlatPak, AppImage, or whatever.  Thank you Mint!

Even better, since I keep a huge number of FF windows and tabs, when I forget where something is I just type a keyword in the address bar, and it takes me to the right tab in the right window on the right virtual desktop, switching desktops as needed.  That is REALLY cool.

I have many situations where I need to kill
tab after tab to troubleshoot something. Or, every time I get on Jitsi, I need to
kill most of the tabs to get the processor oomph I need for Jitsi sound not to have
dropouts like old, stretched mylar tape. If I kill them myself they don't come back.

I never had that, even with my 10yo 8G RAM PC running 3-4 different FF instances.  I do open Jitsi in a new FF window, and close that window when I'm done.  Despite that Jitsi (used to?) recommends Chromium, that never worked for me, while FF Just Works Great.

FF also has containers for shit sites like Facebook that try to take over the PC, but I don't *ever* use that, so I can't speak to that.  But maybe Jitsi needs one?

I think the open tabs that are really important must be bookmarked for safety.

And there's that.  100% agree.  I don't like saving stuff to the cloud though.  (Sigh, yes I do it on my Android phone because the friction is too great otherwise.  As they intended.)  There's probably a way to solve both FF bookmark and Android phone issues with Next Cloud or something, but time hasn't permitted that yet.

And I have been bitten before and lost tabs, so I wrote `https://github.com/vossenjp/utils/blob/main/ff-sess.sh` to save and recover FF...stuff.  It's been a year or two since I've needed it, but before that it saved my bacon 2-3 times a year.

Per a later email in the thread I do have different FF profiles for different instances for different things.  That is handy for isolation, though I should probably look at the containers.  And it's a PITA when FF is updated, because it's that many more instances to restart.  Oh well.

Thanks for the thought and discussion on this one,
JP