JP Vossen via plug on 18 Oct 2022 18:10:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] wifi coconut, egrep, mkdir, Zimbra hack, new FF

On 10/18/22 13:24, Walt Mankowski via plug wrote:
On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 11:15:58AM -0400, JP Vossen via plug wrote:
On 10/18/22 09:20, Walt Mankowski via plug wrote:
On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 01:47:33PM -0400, JP Vossen via plug wrote:
On 10/17/22 13:28, jeffv via plug wrote:
On 10/17/22 13:18, JP Vossen via plug wrote:
Thanks.  I saw https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2022/09/mozilla-firefox-105-new-features on the topic last month as well.  I've had significant problems with PDF notes/annotations on Linux when doing book copy editing [1], so this might be good there.  Once I get 106 I'll test with some old files at some point.  And I guess we'll see how CPU use goes in 106...

Xubuntu got 106 earlier today.

Looks like it hit Mint too.

It was a little later on Ubuntu but it looks like it's there this
morning.

But that's a Snap, not native, right?

Correct, but it's tracking a number of different versions:

More: https://www.theregister.com/2022/10/18/firefox_106_arrives/
The built-in Javascript-based PDF viewer has been updated, so there's less need to rely on a local PDF viewer having these functions. Firefox has been able to display PDFs for many years, and since version 93 late last year, you can complete forms directly in the browser as well – in both AcroForms and the deprecated XFA format. That nicely obsoletes Adobe's scary warning about the older format.

Now the viewer can also annotate PDF documents, which means they can type, or hand-write, directly onto a PDF in a choice of colors, size, line thickness, opacity, and so on, then save the PDF file locally, complete with the new additions. A side-effect is that it can display comments in PDF files, something which third-party PDF viewers often struggle with.

Later,
JP