Tom via plug on 19 Oct 2022 15:32:37 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [OT] SW radio question

My experience with Sangean has been very goodr. Their ATS-803s and 909s are well-known standards in SWLing. I have a Radio Shack DX-398 (which is just a rebadged ATS-803) that’s ~25 years old and still going strong. The only thing I’ve had to do on it over the years is replace the speaker. The original speakers are paper-cone, as are the speakers on most portable radios. They are prone to fail on these radios, but they are a standard size and replacements are easily available. I replaced mine with the mylar unit, which hopefully will cure the problem for good.

I suggested the PL-368 because it has decent performance, especially for such a small form-factor, and does SSB. You can get good prices on them on Amazon, and for accessories, check out CounityComm (but don’t buy the radio from them - their price isn’t great).