Syeed Ali via plug on 20 Oct 2022 00:48:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [OT] SW radio question

On Wed, 19 Oct 2022 14:23:36 -0400
Eric Lucas via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> Background: I'm interested in having a SW radio in case of a disaster.

I was looking into getting a software defined radio (SDR) and hooking
that up to my mobile phone.

https://youtu.be/COUb3Twd3B4

Antennae were mentioned earlier.  That's an important topic to
understand.

Some other thoughts:

A mobile phone has all sorts of emergency uses (gps, compass, SOS
alarms), so it would then be the focus.  For the radio and phone you
could use a power bank built with your own separate 21700 cells.

Each of the cells could also be made to be a a charge/bank battery on
its own.  This one does that and also has a simple clip-on light for
use as a basic lantern:

https://www.nitecorestore.com/Nitecore-MPB21-Battery-Kit-p/chg-nite-mpb21kit.htm

There are other doodads these guys sell.  This is a highly recommended
brand.

https://www.nitecorestore.com/Nitecore-NPB1-Waterproof-Power-Bank-p/bat-nite-npb1.htm

Do not just randomly buy batteries from aliexpress or wherever, they are
not all created equal.

Don't forget to:

- Put reflective tape on everything, including parts that separate like
  battery covers.
- Have three shirt+socks+underwear rolls.  :)

Also consider a little flashlight that has a "deep clip" so it can be
secured to a hat brim.  Also pack a hat!