LeRoy Cressy via plug on 7 Nov 2022 09:30:02 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Box won't boot after RAID drive swap

On 11/7/22 10:10, Walt Mankowski via plug wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2022 at 02:18:09AM +0000, LeRoy Cressy via plug wrote:

>>> So then I put the old drive back in. My plan was to boot it up,
>>> explicitly tell mdadm to remove the bad drive from the array, then
>>> shutdown and do another swap back to the new drive. Now we're back to it
>>> spontaneously shutting down before it finishes booting!

> That's my conclusion too, and it's really surprising to me. I figured
> a common case mdadm would need to handle would be if one of the drives
> died and never spun up during the boot process. Maybe I'm missing
> something, but for RAID1 I don't see any reason why it wouldn't just
> spin up with the remaining drive.
>

> That was my original plan. There's room in the case for the third
> drive, but I couldn't figure out where to plug in the power. So I
> decided to just pull the old drive, since "of course" it would assume
> the drive and died and handle things smoothly!
>
>> Before you remove the old drive, I would reboot the system with the
>> three drives installed and check /proc/mdstat.  If the new drive
>> partition is not listed, you could consider editing /etc/mdadm.conf
>>
>> My mdadm Raid was setup by Arch Linux install process.  my
>> /etc/mdadm.conf has these lines which check all of the partitions.
>>
>> # The designation "partitions" will scan all # partitions found in
>> # /proc/partitions
>> DEVICE partitions
>>>
>> I hope this helps Walt.
>
> It does, thanks, but it would have been really helpful if I'd known
> about all this BEFORE I pulled the old drive. And now I'm stuck on a
> different problem and my box keeps dying during the boot process.
>
> Oh well.
>
> Walt

Hi Walt,

It seems that your problem could be with your UEFI boot order and the
drives that you configured your system to read.  Since your system is
only 6 years old I assume that your mother boards chip set is a UEFI
system.  Each manufacturer has different settings for the motherboard.
Some of them I consider strange ;-)

--
  Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy
  mailto:rev.cressy@prontonmail.com

   /\_/\
  ( o.o )
   > ^ <

Cell Phone: 267-668-9686

GnuPG Fingerprint:
D234 65D6 2822 211B F82F  A6CA B332 4CC8 ACBF D200

You can find me on the following:

Telegram:
     (My Main Channel)
	https://t.me/RevLeRoy