Walt Mankowski via plug on 17 Nov 2022 06:11:34 -0800

Re: [PLUG] More hardware woes

On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 01:53:50PM +0000, LeRoy Cressy via plug wrote:
> On 11/16/22 21:31, Walt Mankowski via plug wrote:
>
> > I brought it home and sure enough it booted up without any problem!
> > Woot! I removed the faulty drive from the RAID array, shut the box
> > down, and swapped out the old drive for a new one.
> >
> > Then turned it back on. It got halfway through booting up and the
> > power shut off. I checked all the connections and tried again. Same
> > thing. I physically disconnected the power and ribbon cables from the
> > new drive. It probably shut off even faster this time.
> >
> > So now it's shut off again and I'm back on my Mac laptop. I'm trying
> > to decide if it's worth bringing it back to Micro Center or just
> > cutting my losses and building a new box.
> >
> > Sigh.
> >
> > Walt
>
> Hi Walt,
>
> 1.  Do you have a power supply tester?
> 	If so check your power supply with it.

No. This is why I paid Micro Center $40, since presumably they have one.

> 2.  After you have checked your power supply plug in every original item
> that you can boot with and boot into the BIOS or UEFI setup.  Carefully
> go through all of the menus and see if there are any settings like safe
> boot or whatever set.  Check to see if certain drives need to be
> connected to boot.  On most motherboards fast boot is turned on by
> default.  I would turn this feature off so that you can press the <Del>
> key or whatever key is needed to be pressed to enter the boot setup.
> I'm not as fast as I used to be, :-;  Every motherboard manufacturer has
> their own setup utility and functions, so without seeing your
> motherboard I cannot take you through the process.

It doesn't stay on long enough to check the bios settings. And again,
this is why I brought it to Micro Center.

> 3.  This can be a time consuming and slow process.  When you bought your
> motherboard, did you download the pdf manual for the motherboard?  Every
> system I build I have a printed copy of the manual.

I'm pretty sure I have a printed copy of it somewhere.

But I'm not sure what would need to change in the BIOS settings. The
only difference between the current setup and then one that booted up
just fine is that there's one less drive hooked up. It's not even one
of the boot drives. I'd suspect that might cause problems once it gets
to Linux, but shouldn't cause the entire box to turn off.