LeRoy Cressy via plug on 7 Dec 2022 11:11:57 -0800

Re: [PLUG] LXDE

On 12/7/22 10:32, Keith C. Perry via plug wrote:
> I typically run Lubuntu on servers and for lightweight desktop
> situations.  I think for 20.04 LTS they switched from LXDE to LXQt.  It
> seems to be fine.  Most of the standard apps are there and you can
> always install what you were used to if it is in a Ubuntu repo).  I
> haven't paid attention to memory use though.
>
> Might be something to try as a stand alone install instead of LXDE.
>
> https://lxqt-project.org/
>

> ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
> Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
> Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
> (O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
> (M) +1.215.432.5167
> www.daotechnologies.com <http://www.daotechnologies.com/>

Hi All,
I've been running LXDE for about 6 to 8 years.  The only problem I have
seen with LXDE is the default number of window panes which is only 2
currently.  I remember fvwm with the 9 window panes which I loved back
in 1994.  (Those Were The Days My Friends)

With LXDE it is fairly easy to change
         Source File = /etc/xdg/openbox/LXDE/rc.xml
         copy /etc/xdg/openbox/LXDE/rc.xml ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml
         Edit file ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml

<desktops>
   <!-- this stuff is only used at startup, pagers allow you to change them
        during a session

        these are default values to use when other ones are not already set
        by other applications, or saved in your session

        use obconf if you want to change these without having to log out
        and back in -->
   <number>6</number>
   <firstdesk>1</firstdesk>
   <names>
     <!-- set names up here if you want to, like this:
     <name>desktop 1</name>
     <name>desktop 2</name>
     -->
   </names>
   <popupTime>875</popupTime>
   <!-- The number of milliseconds to show the popup for when switching
        desktops.  Set this to 0 to disable the popup. -->
</desktops>

As you can see you can change the number from 2 to 6 or whatever you wish.

If you are having problems with apps crashing it is probably not because
of LXDE, but the amount of resources that the app is utilizing.  If I
remember correctly Pale Moon is a really light weight browser that
compiles very quick for a browser.  How much memory and swap do you have?

free -h
                total        used        free      shared  buff/cache
available
Mem:            23Gi       3.8Gi       2.3Gi       304Mi        17Gi
    18Gi
Swap:          8.0Gi       1.0Mi       8.0Gi

This is what I am utilizing on my box right now with Icecat,
LibreOffice, Thunderbird, Protonmail Bridge and other stuff running.  I
do not know what is using up your assets.
--
  Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy
  mailto:rev.cressy@prontonmail.com

   /\_/\
  ( o.o )
   > ^ <

Cell Phone: 267-668-9686

GnuPG Fingerprint:
D234 65D6 2822 211B F82F  A6CA B332 4CC8 ACBF D200

You can find me on the following:

Telegram:
     (My Main Channel)
	https://t.me/RevLeRoy