Steve Litt via plug on 26 May 2024 20:44:14 -0700

Re: [PLUG] System won't boot after failed upgrade from Ubuntu 23.10 to 24.04

Hi Walt,

It sounds like UEFI problems I've had in the past. If you're sure your
thumb drive boots UEFI and you're sure your hard drive boots UEFI,
perhaps disable legacy mode and in the bios boot drive order remove all
USB except that thumb drive. Or, sometimes you need to enable legacy
mode. And for gosh sakes, disable "Secure boot".

Another move might be to find your motherboard's documentation and find
out how to reset it to factory defaults, and start from there. Perhaps
disconnect and reconnect the mobo's battery also.

I've found modern UEFI setups to be exercises in trial and error. And I
wouldn't recommend a new computer, because it might have even worse
problems.

In my opinion, UEFI was an excruciatingly bad way to do a good thing,
and I wish it was never invented. In this day of RAID, LPM and bind
mounts, I think having 4 major partitions and 4 minor partitions is
plenty good enough.

SteveT
Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21

Walt Mankowski via plug said on Sat, 25 May 2024 21:59:03 -0400