Rich Freeman via plug on 28 Jan 2023 04:47:33 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Possibly Off-Topic but looking for a "server"

On Sat, Jan 28, 2023 at 7:40 AM Walt Mankowski via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> $100 is a pretty low figure. Try the following hope-and-prayer ideas:

Newegg has used gear around that price.  The issue is that the only
way to consolidate significant amounts of used hardware tends to
involve either auctions or mail order, and the administrative costs
tend to discourage low prices.  I'm guessing that you're more likely
to find a box full of random junk for $100 than a piece of random junk
for $10.

Microcenter used to sell used gear.  It seems like they've stopped
that.  You could probably search for sales of used corporate stuff
that is local - big companies will often outsource selling off-service
hardware.  Expect lots of 4 year old laptops missing hard drives and
that sort of thing, or maybe the reseller will just add a hard drive
and OS to get a better price.

For actual server hardware I'm guessing ebay would be a place to go.
The issue tends to be that a lot of older stuff uses a TON of power,
and I'm pretty sensitive to TCO as electricity use is significant if
you do the math.  I'd rather pay $40 more and get something that uses
1/10th the power of some old Xeon system.

--
Rich