Syeed Ali via plug on 12 May 2023 19:10:16 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Physically Secure Backup Disk

On Fri, 12 May 2023 14:09:45 -0400
Casey Bralla via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

>  1. Would the disk overheat in the small unventilated and insulated
>     container?
>  2. I'd have to drill a hole for the USB cable.  Would this negate the
>     effectiveness of the "fireproof" box?

Yes, and yes.

There are theoretically solutions for fireproofing for a hole and
cable, involving wrapping the mid and cable-tail of the box in a special
material, but I don't recommend that.

Furthermore, water is also a serious concern, yes because of flooding
if that's a concern, but because that's generally how fires are put
out.  A hole, no matter the size, could be a potential problem.  There
are fireproof and waterproof safes you could consider just for storage
of earlier backups.

Keep in mind that a fireproof "safe" is not actually a safe.  It just
has a lock so if it's tipped over during a fire it doesn't burst open.
A safe should also be on the bottom floor and not raised up so it
can't drop and split open in (or after) a fire.

The lock also makes it look valuable, which might be a problem.

You might be best off setting up a friend with a NAS of some sort, then
keeping your naked backup local and another naked backup remote.

An oft-unconsidered advantage of off-site backups is that you have
immediate access to them, whereas you do not have access to your
fireproof safe until the smoke and fumes clear and you are given
permission.  That might take hours or days.

My concern then is that my husk of a then-unguarded home would have
"valuables" in a "safe", so I'd either have to camp out with one eye
open or hold my breath and loot my own place before someone else tries.