JP Vossen via plug on 12 May 2023 14:28:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Physically Secure Backup Disk

My on-site backup is an rPi4 (8m) with a 5T USB3 disk.  It is encrypted using LUKS, and the long password is taped to the drive because the use-case for encryption is mostly if I ever RMA it, and slightly so I can say the backups are encrypted at rest. :-)

The Pi and disk sit inside a ~45 cubic foot fire resistant safe that already had a small hole drilled in it for a light or dehumidifier or whatever.  I ran power and Ethernet through that.  That has worked for me for at least 2 decades, through a succession of micro-PCs and drives.  I'm pretty sure heat contributed to premature drive death in a few cases, but the current setup has a Pi fan that's also pointed at the USB disk, and it's been happy, even with the LUKS overhead.  The move last year from Raspbian to rPi OS (aka Debian 11) made a *vast* improvement!  With only the OS re-install from scratch on a new (better) SD card, and no other hardware changes, it now easily keeps up with `rsync` and BackupPC (also `rsync`).  I've tried to tune it so that there are not too many concurrent jobs causing resource contention.  With Raspbian it was...struggling.  A lot.

So the concept works, but note the safe I'm talking about is *much* bigger than the $80 1 cubic foot hardware store units.  I suspect those would kill disks, since the entire point of them is to be a heat barrier.

I've wondered about EMP.  On one hand, it's totally enclosed in steel.  OTOH, there are some hand wave-guides coming in from the power grid and my Ethernet.  I *did* lose a NIC in a previous generation to inductance from a close lightning strike in 2009.

This begs the question of on-line off-site backups.  I use hard drive space at Mom's house, but I've wondered a few times about a PLUG co-op.  The idea would be for PLUG folks to do an off-site backup space swap, using a solution like Restic that tolerates untrusted remote storage.  It's easily technically doable, but there would be a lot of other details to figure out (firewall rule management, for one).  The easy case would be 2 folks trading backup appliances and bandwidth, maybe rPis in locked metal lunchboxes to be tamper evident.  ;-)  And you can use the metal of the box as a heat sink.

3 more comments inline below.