Casey Bralla via plug on 12 May 2023 11:09:58 -0700

[PLUG] Physically Secure Backup Disk

I use a large USB disk connected to a Raspberry Pi for backup.  The Pi runs a python script every night to call rsync and backup all my files.  I want to be sure this backup disk is secure in case I actually need the files on it.

The files are secure from being unreadable by making them unencrypted, uncompressed copies using NFS.  Also, I periodically swap the disk so I have a rotation of large disks.  Even if the disk fails, the next oldest is only a few months out of date.

I have made the disk secure from theft by hiding it in a remote corner of my basement.  Anybody who steals my computer equipment will most likely never find the PI and the backup disk.

But I'm worried about protecting it against fire.  I thought I might put the disk inside one of those inexpensive fire safes that people use for critical documents, but I have 2 concerns:

  1. Would the disk overheat in the small unventilated and insulated container?
  2. I'd have to drill a hole for the USB cable.  Would this negate the effectiveness of the "fireproof" box?

I'm talking about 8 terabytes of data, so online storage is not practical (and I'm too cheap to pay for it anyway)

I would appreciate suggestions.  TIA!

Casey Bralla