Soren Harward via plug on 15 May 2023 08:58:58 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Physically Secure Backup Disk

On Fri, May 12, 2023 at 2:10 PM Casey Bralla via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
> I'm talking about 8 terabytes of data, so online storage is not practical (and I'm too cheap to pay for it anyway)

How much of this data is changing over every month? Because the
archive tier of Google Cloud Storage is about $1/TB/month. I have
about 5TB of archive-tier data in GCS and a bit less than 1TB in
standard tier. For me, that makes cloud storage less expensive than
buying a new 6TB HDD every five years. And I don't have to deal with
the inconvenience and points of failure that come with managing the
kind of hardware solutions that have been proposed in this thread.

Every time I've done the cost/benefit analysis for offsite backup
under technological and financial considerations, cloud storage wins
over DIY.

--
Soren Harward