Steve Litt via plug on 17 May 2023 17:32:46 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Physically Secure Backup Disk

Soren Harward via plug said on Mon, 15 May 2023 11:58:17 -0400

And I don't have to deal with
>the inconvenience and points of failure that come with managing the
>kind of hardware solutions that have been proposed in this thread.

Read the Terms and Conditions of your Google Cloud Storage, and notice
they take no responsibility for the loss or dispersal of your
information. This is a *huge* point of failure: They don't care for
your data like you would. Also, speaking of inconvenient, if your
upload speed is 8 Mbit/second, or 1 MByte per second, so every
Terrabyte to upload takes a million seconds or 278 hours: More than 11
days. As compared to maybe 2 hours for 1TB backup to 7200RPM spinning
rust. Of course if you do it right you only make that upload once, but
even if you upload 1 GByte on each incremental update, that takes 1000
seconds, or 17 minutes, which is comparable to the time this takes on
spinning rust.

If you're one of the lucky few with Fiber enabling Gigabit up, the
first backup of 1TB is "only" 8000 seconds, or 2.2 hours, which is only
a little slower than writing 1 TB to a 7200RPM spinning rust.

But perhaps the most compelling argument for non-Cloud backup is
contained in an article I wrote 26 years ago:

http://troubleshooters.com/tpromag/9807.htm#LostWebsite

SteveT

Steve Litt