Syeed Ali via plug on 17 May 2023 20:46:10 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Physically Secure Backup Disk

On Wed, 17 May 2023 20:32:40 -0400
Steve Litt via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> Also, speaking of inconvenient, if your
> upload speed is 8 Mbit/second, or 1 MByte per second, so every
> Terrabyte to upload takes a million seconds or 278 hours: More than 11
> days. As compared to maybe 2 hours for 1TB backup to 7200RPM spinning
> rust.

I spent a stupid amount of time troubleshooting multiple attempts at
retrieving data from cloud storage.  It was slow enough to upload, but,
due to bugs that I had to hunt down for free for them, I had to
download a silly amount of data multiple times.  It was also in one
large chunk and neither of us knew what would happen if the
transmission was interrupted.

So there I was for many weeks waiting for my download, all the while
hoping they would honor the unpaid extension of my plan so I could
retrieve my data and get the hell out.

I recommend cloud storage, I really do, but only as a *tertiary*
solution.