Rich Freeman via plug on 18 May 2023 00:56:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Physically Secure Backup Disk

On Wed, May 17, 2023 at 11:46 PM Syeed Ali via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> I spent a stupid amount of time troubleshooting multiple attempts at
> retrieving data from cloud storage.  It was slow enough to upload, but,
> due to bugs that I had to hunt down for free for them, I had to
> download a silly amount of data multiple times.  It was also in one
> large chunk and neither of us knew what would happen if the
> transmission was interrupted.

I do keep a local backup as well though I consider it less secure than
the cloud backup.  It will just be much cheaper/faster to access if
needed.

If I do need to do a full restore I plan to just have Amazon mail my
backup on disk.  The costs aren't much more than downloading it all
anyway - it was somewhere around $100 or so the last time I checked.

The stuff I'd want to restore most urgently tend to be things like
small config files which would be very easy to download.  The stuff
that takes up huge amounts of space are photos/media/etc, and I
wouldn't really be in any rush to recover those. Waiting a week to
receive them on disk isn't a big deal, and really no different from
what you'd probably be doing if you are giving the disks to somebody
else to store.

--
Rich