Steve Litt via plug on 18 May 2023 00:17:03 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Physically Secure Backup Disk

Syeed Ali via plug said on Wed, 17 May 2023 20:46:02 -0700

>I recommend cloud storage, I really do, but only as a *tertiary*
>solution.

I agree totally. If you back up to disk, and keep some of the disks in
a bank vault, then backup to the cloud eliminates problems in which an
earthquake, hurricane, flood or tornado wipes out both you and the bank.

However, your cloud backup should be reliably encrypted, while still
being able to upload only changed files. The only way I know to meet
that challenge is to have a LUKS partition on the remote side, then
every day open the LUKS partition, rsync new files to that opened
partition, do a cp -al to make the incremental create a full backup,
then close the LUKS partition.

I think we all have tax information and other personal info that would
result in identity theft if it falls into the wrong hands, so the
remote side *must* be encrypted.

SteveT

Steve Litt