Mike Leone via plug on 26 May 2023 14:17:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Backing up Windows to Linux

On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 4:58 PM JP Vossen via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
On 5/26/23 01:07 PM, Rich Freeman via plug wrote:
> On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 12:38 PM N. Albert via plug
> <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
>>
>> Personally, I've never had issues copying in use files on Windows. It's
>> only moving or deleting in-use files that will trigger errors.
>
> Having attempted to do what you guys are proposing I do, I can assure
> you that it causes issues.  You can look up just about any place where
> this topic is seriously discussed for countless examples of this being
> an issue.

Especially any file open by any Microsoft product, like for example custom dictionaries.  Mine are...very custom, and it's annoying to have to re-train MS Turd & friends, on the rare occasions I'm forced to use them.  `robocopy` will flatly refuse to copy--many things--if Outlook, Edge, or Teams are in use.

Have you tried these options?

RoboCopy %Source% %Destination% /MT:20 /E /ZB /COPYALL /R:1 /W:1

that usually gets most everything I've ever tried copying. Then again, copying registry hives is very different from copying "regular" files ... the "/ZB" (copy in restartable abd backup mode" can be really helpful.