Walt Mankowski via plug on 28 May 2023 17:48:21 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Backing up Windows to Linux

On Sun, May 28, 2023 at 01:34:38PM -0400, JP Vossen via plug wrote:
> I want to be horrified about having this in the MS cloud, but then
> many folks have exactly that in the Google or Apple clouds for
> phones, though granted the risk-of-loss factors for phones are
> higher than for PCs sitting at home.  Risks for laptops are probably
> a lot closer to phones though...

FWIW Apple has sold a LOT of phones, and many if not all of them are
backing up and sharing data via iCloud. Syncing can often take a
while, and sometimes you can end up with duplicated data. (These were
both more of a problem in the early days of iCloud.) However, I've
never heard of anyone losing data. I feel confident it would be all
over the tech press if it was an issue.

Of course past performance is no guarantee of future success, and
certainly no guarantee that MS will get it right too. But these sorts
of systems have been rock solid.

Walt