Rich Freeman via plug on 28 May 2023 12:31:36 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Backing up Windows to Linux

On Sun, May 28, 2023 at 1:34 PM JP Vossen via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> Still, if Win-11 is able to *reliably* back itself up to the cloud (taking into account the issues Roch originally raised), might it be possible to hijack that capability and self-host it?  I'm sure they'll make that as hard as possible, then then, Samba exists.

The fine print on this solution seems pretty important:

1. It only seems to back up apps/settings installed from the MS Store.
(That phone-like app store where MS takes ~30% of anything you buy, so
it doesn't contain any serious commercial software.  Actually, this is
basically the reason Valve invented SteamOS - game publishers didn't
want to have to give MS a 30% cut of every $70 game sale.)
2. It doesn't really seem to do anything for data.  They'd argue
that's what OneDrive is for.  That sort-of works, but I'm dealing with
stuff like LightRoom that tends to have 50GB databases.

The main reason I don't use individual PC backup software is that
those things tend to charge a premium for capacity, and I have quite a
bit of data.  That bacula backup weighed in at about 350GB - that's
the size of my profile directory basically.  Quite a bit of that is
thanks to Adobe.

--
Rich