Adam Schaible via plug on 6 Jul 2023 15:53:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Proxmox + iSCSI?

Feel like I need to weigh in on this one since I did a PLUG talk on Proxmox 3 1/2 years ago...

> Does anyone use Proxmox?

Yup! For about 5 years now in my home lab. A couple others in PLUG too, and also several of my coworkers. Seems ideal for the small business/nonprofit use case where you have maybe one or two racks and don't feel like paying the VMware tax or public cloud bills.

> If so, does anyone use iSCSI to store ISO images?  Proxmox does not seem to be able to use it like VMware would.  I can see the block device via lsblk, I can format it, etc.  But Proxmox will not see it or use it.

No, it's been NFS since Day 1 for me. In fact iSCSI support for ISOs seems like a fairly new Proxmox feature, I can see how it would be useful though as iSCSI is supposed to have higher performance than NFS, just with the cost of being more difficult to configure and manage. I was curious about how this would be set up, so I searched around and found this tutorial, you might have already read it: https://www.virtualizationhowto.com/2022/01/proxmox-iscsi-target-to-synology-nas/

> I don't have another drive to stick in the server for storage, I was hoping to leverage my NAS.  I was told that NFS is one solution I may be able to use.

Yes, NFS has Just Worked for me in Proxmox for several years now, I store all my ISOs/templates/container images/backups/etc. there. I even built a VM backed with an NFS-based boot volume once as a proof of concept - the performance was pretty lackluster due to magnetic storage in my FreeNAS and 1GB copper shared network, but it DID work. As Rich says in his previous reply here, Proxmox does get a little fussy about the permissions you give it on the NFS export you decide to use, but once you get it working (which in my case meant making Proxmox "nfsnobody"), you shouldn't need to touch it again afterwards.

Happy Trails,
--
  Adam Schaible
  plug@schibes.com